Sunday, July 06, 2003

6/19/03


Got my times mixed up for Doctor today... I swung by there at 10:45 for my 11am appointment, and it turns out it was at 1pm. MY physical therapy is at 1:30p, so I went downstairs to PT, and the woman there was enthusiastic about having me work right then, as she had a cancellation, and wanted to head out today by 2pm if she could (taking her daughter to the orthodontist). I didn't do traction today, but the workout with heat and stim worked nicely.

It seems my original PT guy quit to go work in Brazil for a private individual. My mind stereotypes, and wonder if it's a big crime leader or something.

Went to the doctor, and I've got to stay on physical therapy, and may end up going to get another epidural done. Two weeks and time will tell.

In the office a kid was playing with *MICRONAUTS* today... the time-traveler one. My gosh, they're so small! Either they re-released them with different, smaller molds, or I really have gotten a lot bigger since I was 8. (The latter is more likely.) Only about 3 1/2 inches tall. On the way home I noticed the lizards are out in force... I had one hop on my crutch and ride across the street with me, a brown anole with a red throat and a really pretty speckled back in browns and yellows.. Many small ones were out and about, so I suspect a hatching season has kicked in. My rider was bigger, and pretty well fed...I made sure that he got off before entering the Newton-Zone, however.
It's a Lizard! Not my rider, but pretty darn close.

I plan on spending some time with Danny tomorrow; both to get some quality time in, and to get some boxes so I can start packing stuff up.

A new GeoURL has popped up, 0 miles form my apartment, the Fort Lauderdale Clear Sky Clock, so I won't have to bother referencing with Heavens Abovefor my sky info anymore, as I can reference it from the Clock. Sadly, Due to light pollution in the cite, it takes a little doing to get somewhere with good stargazing light. I've added the small thumbnail to my ever-growing bio page, right underneath the Sun-sentinel cam.

A baby dolphin beached yesterday.. Tiny (3-feet long, 50 lbs), maybe a week old. The report yesterday called it a whale, because of witnesses to the event not knowing the difference. (Risso's Dolphins have a blunt head and no beak, like Bottlenose "Flipper" Dolphins)


Officials: Stranded baby dolphin will never be released

Tuesday, June 17, 2003

NORTH MIAMI -- A newborn dolphin rescued after she washed ashore on a Fort Lauderdale beach will never return to the ocean because she doesn't have the skills to survive, such as catching fish, officials said Tuesday.

Rescuers said the female Risso's dolphin was in critical condition Tuesday, a day after her rescue. The baby is recovering in a 22-foot diameter tank at Florida International University's campus in North Miami. Volunteers are feeding her Pedialyte, a solution for infants to prevent dehydration and replace electrolytes, and a gruel made of calcium, vitamins and other supplements.

"If (she) does beat the odds and (she) makes it, we would find a home for (her) in a captive care facility," said Blair Mase of the National Marine Fisheries Service.

The dolphin is about a week old, said Sarah Gomez, a rehabilitation supervisor with the Marine Animal Rescue Society. She said the dolphin, nicknamed Nemo, might have beached itself because her mother died, there were problems during her birth, or because she is sick.

"She really needs to sleep and fatten up," Gomez said. The 3-foot dolphin weighs 46 pounds.

Veterinarians took blood samples, a blow whole culture and a fecal sample, Gomez said. They hope to determine whether the baby nursed from its mother, which would give it essential antibiotics to develop a healthy immune system.

Risso's dolphins are usually seen only in warm, deep oceans or seas. They have a blunt head and no beak, a curved dorsal fin and a dark gray to white body. They can grow to 12 1/2 feet long and up to 1,100 pounds.

After the baby washed ashore Monday, lifeguards took it to shallow water about 100 feet offshore until state wildlife officers and special rescue workers arrived.

Volunteers dubbed the dolphin Nemo after the character in the new Walt Disney movie, "Finding Nemo," the story of a boy fish stolen from his home and his father's search for him.

The Marine Animal Rescue Society is an all-volunteer network. Volunteers and donations are needed to care for Nemo, Gomez said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home