Friday, August 01, 2003

7/23/03
I never did take myself out for a bit to eat. Maybe tomorrow after getting my brace fitted.

Brother came by at the wee hours and broke me out of a sound sleep in order to get a clean shirt for the meeting with the lawyer this morning... hopefully, he'll get the money from his settlement, and be well on his way to a more comfortable living arrangement. (And to a place that he can store all of his stuff, too. It's been underfoot for a long time now.) I'll be really happy when he's back on his feet in a place of his own with a phone, and ready to start rolling in the workforce again.

This fish just looks hostile to me. You know it's thinking bad things. He's got the evil eye. I think he's more sinister than the monkfish.
Oh, how it loathes us all.
Just wait until it finishes his breathing apparatus and robo-legs. Then we'll all be sorry. Click here and see.

The Humpback Angler, Female... EET WANTS TO KEEL YEW!

For me, this bizarre fish (the size of a tennis ball) is one of the most fascinating creatures in the deep sea. It has it all, it's black, has big savage teeth, little nasty pin eyes, a big flabby stomach ready to fit in anything it can catch (irrelevant of size) and a rod lure off the top of its head with a glowing tip to coax in stupid prey. It doesn’t stop there: its flesh is watery, its bones are very light (barely coated by a thin layer of calcium carbonate) and it can barely swim (there’s not much of a tail). This animal just hangs mid-water waving its little lure and waiting to chomp. And this is only what the female looks like! The male is completely different. He's very small and looks like a black jellybean with fins. He has no lure, has big eyes, huge nostrils and a fairly small mouth with curved hooked teeth. His body is made of strong red muscle for swimming long distances. Why the difference? She's looking for food, he's looking for her. She releases anglerfish-type perfumes into the water and he spends all his time swimming around looking and smelling for her. When he eventually finds her (in the dark), he latches on to her side (with his hooked teeth) and drinks her food-rich blood in return for producing the sperm she needs when it comes time to release her eggs.

The perfect couple. Man, those things are scarier to me than sharks.

Cool seimens commercial. -A futuristic society with a ban on dancing meets a dedicated rebel fighting for his rights to free expression.

Note, opinion/belief questions could change at any time.

YOUR NAME
The singular boring question: What is your name?
.:. Scott
If you had been born a member of the opposite sex, what would your name have been?
.:.I'm guessing I'd be named Jean, but I'm not sure.
Would you name a child of yours after you?
.:. Sure, it's a bit of a tradition, but I'd be just as happy to not to.
If you had to switch first names with a friend of yours, who would you switch with?
.:. Scott. (Is that Cheating? If so, Benjamin)
What's the way people most often mispronounce any part of your name?
.:. Todd, Scout, John, Gus (?!) ...don't get me started on my last name
If you were to become famous, would you drop your last name (like Madonna, Cher, Roseanne)?
.:. Doubtful, I'm proud of my last name... I'd probably opt to be known as Scotto than Scott
DEEP THEOLOGICAL QUESTIONS
Do you believe in the traditional view of Heaven and Hell?
.:. No. I really feel we can't quantify that stuff with the measuring equipment we have.
Do you think God has a gender?
.:. No, I don't imagine a creative force of nature having a mate in a sexual sense. (But what do I know?)
Do you think science counteracts religion?
.:. Not when either is done right. Science is a method of asking questions. Religion is a way of seeking guidance.
Do you believe in organized religion?
.:. I believe it exists, and works for some people. It's not my thing.
Where do you think we go when we die?
.:. I have no idea. I'd like to know.
Do you feel a little funny thinking about the questions in this section?
.:. Nah. I do think they're pretty unanswerable, though.

HUMOR
How easy is it to make you laugh?
.:. If I like you, *really easy*.
What person you know makes you laugh the most?
.:. Oh, man, my sweetheart cracks me up nearly every time we talk.
Do you laugh at jokes you know you shouldn't?
.:. Yup.
Do you tell jokes you know you shouldn't?
.:. In mixed company, no. To People I know that can take it, yup.
What words instantly make you laugh or at least smile?
.:. Kumquat. Shiznit. Victrola. Many many more.
What do you think is the funniest thing you've ever said or written?
.:. I have no idea. I can be really funny sometimes, and other times, incredibly lame. It's a question of timing and position.

MUSIC
Do you ever dance to music when nobody's watching?
.:. Sure.. I more often sing along.
What is/are the worst song(s) you have ever heard?
.:. Your Body Is A Wonderland-John Mayer comes to mind but I'm sure there are worse.
What song(s) do you wish you could understand a little better?
.:. A lot.. any that are well written but poorly articulated... Bob Dylan / Stevie Nicks are wonderful, but sort of slurry.
What song(s) are constantly in your head?
.:. Oh, it mixes up, Boogie Man, Assorted Dean Martin, TV Themes all pop up at different times.
What song(s) do you think describe your personality best?
.:. varies, but right now... The Ancient Egyptians by Poi Dog Pondering
If you were to serenade the object of your affections, which song(s) would you use?
.:. #36, DMB... it depends on the style of mood happening
If the object of your affections were to serenade you, what song(s) would you hope he or she used?
.:. I'd just be delighted to be serenaded. She has a wonderful voice and well-suited to it.

MOVIES
What movie(s) do you love that nobody else seems to?
.:. The Monkees- Head, Robin Williams - Popeye, Sean Connery - Zardoz all stand out in my mind.
Do you agree with the idea that sequels are always worse than the original?
.:. Usually, but not always. (see Star Trek, Aliens, and Star Wars.)
Who's your favorite Star Wars character?
.:. Han Solo / Chewie (they're a single unit.)
What kind of movie do you think there should be more of?
.:. Well written "non-formula" flicks.
What movie(s) do you simply not understand the appeal of?
.:. None... they all have a crowd that likes 'em.

FOOD
When eating, are you more concerned with taste or healthiness?
.:. I'm bad, and prefer flavor to health but try to balance the two when I can.
What's your favorite kind of cheese?
.:. Cheddar, but I like many varieties
What do you think your answer to the previous question reveals about your personality?
.:. More live for the moment than for the future?
If you knew exactly what went into Chinese food, hamburger meat, etc., would you still eat it?
.:. I still eat Chinese food, and make it at home, so I guess so.
Do you ever feel guilty eating meat?
.:. No.

COMPUTERS
Mac or PC?
.:. Whatever can get the job done... usually that means PC
How much do you actually care about the inner workings of your computer, as long as it works?
.:. If it works, it's not a problem.. but computers can be constantly tweaked, and made to work better.
Do you ever begin preferring IMs to other forms of conversation?
.:. Depends who I'm talking to.
Do you find you're different talking through IMs than face-to-face or on the telephone?
.:. Not really.
Have you ever ended bid on something on eBay and regretted it later?
.:. not yet, but I imagine that day'll come.

THE BATTLE OF THE SEXES
Have you ever wished you could experience being the other gender?
.:. Some elements, but certainly not all, and certainly not permanently.
What do you love most about the other gender?
.:. How they complete the "other half of the puzzle" and make us a whole people. The way they can carry different emotional and physical weights than men
What do you dislike most about the other gender?
.:. When they live up to the negative stereotypes. (same as my own, really)
What do you understand least about the other gender?
.:. Again, the big stereotypes.

CELEBRITIES
Do you sometimes see a movie or watch a show just because a good-looking celebrity is in it?
.:. Nah.
What celebrity's autograph do you want most?
.:. William Shakespeare, if only to sell it.
Have people ever said you looked like a celebrity, and if so, who?
.:. A few.. Kevin Smith, Greg Allman, Grizzly Adams, Travis Tritt, Mick Foley, any burly, bearded dude with long hair.
If there was to be a movie about you, who do you think should play you (in personality, looks or both)?
.:. John Goodman
Does it ever annoy you when you know someone is a celebrity but you can't remember why?
.:. Not sure what's meant by that.. I don't think I've had that happen
If you could enter any celebrity's mind like in "Being John Malkovich", whose would you enter?
.:. Arnold Schwarzenegger (He has political elements and a lot of information available to him)
Do you want to be John Malkovich?
.:. Sure, I'd try it.

NUMBERS
Do you laugh when you hear or read the number 69?
.:. not generally, but if feeling juvie, yeah. maybe if I was playing at being Bill or Ted
Were you lying about your answer to the previous question?
.:. Nope
Do you actually know your Social Security Number?
.:. sure do
Do you actually know your IP address?
.:. it's dynamic. I could find out quickly, though
Do you know what an IP address is?
.:. Yes
Do you know the four-character extension on your ZIP code?
.:. Yep
Ever thought there were too many numbers floating around in our lives?
.:. Only too many if you need to know them. Many can be ignored. Rather, not generally.
Does your head begin to hurt when you think of infinity, imaginary numbers, irrational numbers, etc.?
.:. No, it's just a useful data construct.
What do you think of pi?
.:. It was a nifty black and white movie with a neat sound track.

LOVE, SEX AND ALL THAT
Did you get a little frightened or uncomfortable seeing this as a section title?
.:. No
If someone you had no interest in dating expressed interest in dating you, how would you feel?
.:. Depends on who they are. Generally flattered.
Do you prefer getting to know someone first before dating them or going in "blind"?
.:. Known, preferably
Could you carry on a relationship with someone with the same first name as a family member?
.:. Yes, but I'd probably use a nickname
Have you ever wished it was more "socially acceptable" for a girl to ask a guy out?
.:. Only if it'd benefit me.
What's your opinion on sex without emotional commitment?
.:. I think commitment is far better.
Have you ever been romantically attracted to someone physically unattractive?
.:. yes, though my mind paints people I like as more attractive, and people I dislike as less so.
Do you think the opposite sex finds you good-looking?
.:. Some do, some don't.
Would you be willing to give up sex in exchange for an emotional commitment you knew would last?
.:. Yes, but I prefer having both.


POSSESSIONS
What is your favorite possession?
.:. If Newt counts as a possession,(he does, according to the law, I think) Newt. Inanimate? my box of memories in my top drawer.
What physical, tangible possession do you want most?
.:. Hmm... My own house, with a library.
How badly do you want it?
.:. I'd like to have it one day. I won't kill for it or anything.
Have you ever seen 'The Exorcist'?
.:. Yes
How long did it take you to understand why the last question is in this section?
.:. immediately

HOLIDAYS
Does Christmas music too far away from Christmas annoy you?
.:. nope, as long as it's not the same tune repeated over and over
How old do you think you will be before you stop liking getting older?
.:. Heck, I think I'll always prefer that to the alternative.
What was the best Halloween costume you ever had?
.:. I make a mighty fine pirate, if I do say so myself.
What was the worst Halloween costume you ever had?
.:. ghost/sheet, with skull-mask
What holiday do you think has still managed to retain its original meaning?
.:. New Year's seems to have.
There are currently no federal holidays during August -- what should be put there?
.:. Women's Equality day, August 26 Celebrate the day they were given the vote.

MEMORIES
How good is your short-term memory?
.:. Wildly variable. Sometimes superb. sometimes non-existent.
How good is your long-term memory?
.:. Very good.
What is your earliest memory?
.:. Going to the Zoo with Michelle, My mom, and Vera. I think.
What is your happiest memory?
.:. Hard to say.. I've got a lot. Finding love and finding it reciprocated is certainly in there.
What is your strangest memory?
.:. A lot of strong dreams as a kid...so vivid that that seemed real, but so surreal that they couldn't be.
What song, movie, etc. do you wish you could memorize?
.:. hmm.. I think you can learn anything like that with enough repetition.

TEARS
What movie makes/made you cry?
.:. Oh, I can be a big sap at times. Any good mush can do that, if the setting is right. Charlotte's Web is a good example.
What book makes/made you cry?
.:. See above, ex would be Dandelion Wine, Ray Bradbury in parts.
What song makes/made you cry?
.:. see above.. but an ex. would be Little Twelvetoes - Schoolhouse Rock
What makes/made you laugh so hard you cried?
.:. Oh, good friends can get me on a laughing jag, if the mood sets it. I know that my sweetheart, bro, Dan, Doug, Ray, Dave, Kev, Island Boy, and I think maybe Sappho have all done it at one point or another.


A captive female crow, confronted with a task that required a curved tool, spontaneously bent a piece of straight wire into a hooked shape -- and then repeated the behavior in nine out of ten subsequent trials. Though these crows are known to employ tools in the wild using natural materials, this bird had no prior training with the use of pliant materials such as wire -- a fact that makes its apparently spontaneous, highly specific problem-solving all the more interesting, and raises intriguing questions about the evolutionary preconditions for complex cognition. Video available.

a year ago - Janet Reno, 1000 blank white cards, lost links, Dumpster Diving, singing kitty, palm sketches, snickitty-snackitty man, managing activism

two years ago - melted heart, epizootic ,hair bears, playing majestic

three years ago - bedtime thoughts

Well, since lj is now (finally, after some months of it trying to work) sending auto-updates to weblogs.com (if you checked "yes" to send it) journals can appear on utilities like blogrolls or technocrati now. In addition, if you geocode your journal, you can have your entries automatically pop up on a world map as you update. (within 3 minutes at the most.)

Of course, that's for folks that want to be seen on the web... kind of pointless if you have all private/friends-only posts.



While I'm on the subject of Lj… it seems that they've run out of South park names for the assorted clusters. Recently the "Green" cluster was having trouble, and that's the first I've heard it mentioned. I guess they shuffled some folks around again, though I'm still on the Chef cluster.

If you'd like to know which one you're on, you can click here. (It may be different than the last time)

On a totally unrelated note -

Doctor Octopus...
He's got the belly and the bad hair, along with the glasses.
...gave up evil to pursue a career as a musician.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home