Saturday, February 22, 2003

2/21/03 - twenty-ninth scroll, sixth verse
I'm craving a Cadbury caramel egg.

Via bradthe big cheese-
Fun with DDoS attacks.
LiveJournal's been under attack for the past couple days... worst DDoS attack we've ever experienced (and there have been many).

Much stress. Little sleep. Lots of coffee. 27+ hours of downtime, for much of the net.

But.... we got some excellent help from a number of people (one in particular, whom I owe as a result many a beer) and we're basically ignoring the attack now.

Also, the attack highlighted other bottlenecks, easily fixed once noticed, and the prolonged downtime gave me time to work on things that have been on my list for a while.

End result: things are faster & more efficient than ever, even though the attack continues.

Thank you, script kiddie. The site's more robust as a result. Now, go get laid. Or--- keep attacking and talking to your owned zombies while the FBI Cybercrimes group works with us tracing things back to you.


The last time in memory that it hit as hard was June 2001. Which resulted in a firewall and rate limiters. I'll be interested in seeing the tech info on what was repaired.

Is it me, or does Brad's icon make him look like he's aged quite a bit? His older one strikes me as much younger.

Friday Five:

1. What is your most prized material possession? Well, under the law, Newt's a possession, though I think of him as a little buddy. Very prized. Inanimate object? The bundle of letters from my sweetheart, a gold ring and silver dollar from my father Digitally, I have a lot of photos stored redundantly on the web/home/elsewhere that I'm happy to have. Hard to balance them out.

2. What item, that you currently own, have you had the longest? hmm... that gold ring. It has my (his) initials on it.

3. Are you a packrat? Pretty much. I go through major cleansings every time I move, though.

4. Do you prefer a spic-and-span clean house? Or is some clutter necessary to avoid the appearance of a museum? Well, there's some clutter regardless. I like it to feel lived in, but not a museum or a dump.

5. Do the rooms in your house have a theme? Or is it a mixture of knick-knacks here and there? The only theme is "Stuff Scotto likes." When I get a larger home, I'd like to have a nicely laid out library.

Today’s clothes in haiku

Orange/rust polo
Khaki pants over boxers
Hair in a hemp tie


I've seen the following plot far too often in the last two weeks in stories / TV / etc:

There is a person who's tired of living... so he hires a professional to off him, but the moment he's done that, along comes a boyfriend/girlfriend, and he decides to renege on the deal. Suddenly the tables get turned. Somehow the client-victim manages to escape and get rid of his killer.

Attention Professional Killers... Snuff the romantic interest first. Sure, you're doing a freebie, but it'll save you all sorts of trouble in the long run.

I really like how Newt rushes to meet me at the door, and gives me a "welcome home" meow when my key turns in the lock. He really brightens my day.

Thrum-thrum-thrumming in the core of my being... Heavy bass lines turned up to 11? Is my sweetie moshing somewhere, and I feel it? it's not a physical feeling more than a spiritual one.

This weekend is laundry weekend. If I get the gumption, it will be tomorrow, first thing, bright and early.

Saw spiders all over the place this morning, in the back yard especially.

I called nordis today, and Brian mentioned that he was just looking for my phone number to call me. We spoke, and he said that they're reevaluating their finances, to see if I can be hired on. I'm going to call back on Tuesday with the hopes that they've gotten things in order and are interested in taking me on as an employee.

Meantime, I'm hooking up with a headhunter to seek out other gigs for me.

Highly entertained by the forced perspective images at Parking Spots. Perhaps I'll contribute something like that... I wouldn't mind applying the same technique to some of my other toys, too.

current mood: I found nothing in the cave to alter that conception of man and I still live by it's injunction.
current music: Video killed the radio star / Mexican Radio duelling in my head.

The Groovenians

I wanted to like it. All CGI... Soundtrack by the B-52s... an all-star cast of voice talent, including Paul Reubens, Dennis Hopper, RuPaul, and Debi Mazar.

Psychedleic-ish.

But boring. It's a loser. It's not because I was expecting more... I didn't even see it coming until I tuned in.

I *like* retro-kitsch-meets-futureworld. This just doesn't cut it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home