Saturday, March 15, 2003

debunk, debunk Folks really need to research more.

French toast was most likely not invented by a Joseph French of Albany, New York, in 1724. I do not see and I cannot find any evidence supporting the claims on behalf of Mr. French, though plenty of people are willing to give him credit.

In addition, the Oxford English Dictionary has a citation for French toast under the entry for "French," some 64 years before Mr. French of Albany supposedly coined the term. It appears to be the same food, even if the recipe varies a bit (mainly by the absence of eggs and the soaking after toasting rather than before).

From the OED, second edition:

"1660 R. MAY Accomplisht Cook VI. 162 French Toasts. Cut French Bread, and toast it in pretty thick toasts on a clean gridiron, and serve them steeped in claret, sack, or any wine, with sugar and juyce of orange."


Most of the entries found on the Internet and in news articles (such as here and here) stem from a single unverified source, a source without attributions, notes, bibliography or any other supporting documents.

Tsk Tsk. For what it's worth, I'd always thought French toast was simply toasted French bread.

Shots taken from the Number 60 bus heading North in Fort Lauderdale. I'm not sure if these are suited for UD, so I'm just keeping them here.

detail of the car... I suspect that the vehicle was built around the time Jesus first started getting popular.



You can see a faint reflection of the old man sitting in front of me in the window's reflection...

The ear texture didn't come out as well as I'd hoped, but I like the shot.

1. What does your first name mean?
The Guardian/ Protector

2. What does your middle name mean?
(At/Of) the Priest's House/Altar

3. What about the last name?
(On/Of) the Mountain

4. If you were to put the meanings of your names together, what would it say?
The Guardian of the Altar on the Mountain

5. If you'd been the opposite sex, what would your parents have named you?
I have no idea. I suspect something not outrageous of the time, though. Perhaps Diane or Virginia?


Going to a movie with Dan this afternoon. It'll be a welcome diversion. I've not seen anything in a theatre in quite a span. Let's see what's playing.

Things that Dan and I could agree on seeing are -

Old School (Dan's most likely Choice), Daredevil, Willard (My most likely choice), Shanghai knights, Tears of the sun.

I'm feeling like I'll bend in Dan's direction and go see old School. (Willard may be a bit icky for him.) And I could use a few no-brainer laughs. Hopefully it'll be playing at a decent time. I know he's going dancing with his wife tonight.

Getting together at 1:30, so I should hop into a pair of pants and get ready for the goofing off.

Until later, dear journal!

Old School was cute, very predictable. I'd not have chosen it for myself, but it was fun enough with a buddy. The movies all started at 3/3:30ish, and that was the earliest, and thus the winner. Don't bother running to see it... it is exactly what you'd think it is. Weird cameos, a strange, almost cameo appearance by Craig Kilbourne. The coming attractions had really bad, easily mockable films... you could see where the studio guys said... “Five words for a new hit!” umm... “Black comedian runs for prez!” um... “SNL skit stretched 2 hours!” no fair! That’s all of ‘em!

Before catching the flick, we went to the bar upstairs and had a beer with a basket of fries. The fries were sub-par, but the beers quite good. Our server was just friendly and attentive enough. Not a smotherer nor gone AWOL. The weather is getting warmer and warmer.... fortunately there's a light rain to break it up.

Lightened my mood a bit... got a chance to lend a sympathetic ear to Dan's woes, and bend his to mine.

Home now, and I'm feeling ok. Not up, and not down... very muted. I feel quiet, though I want to talk. I want the thoughts in my head to restructure, work together, rather than bouncing at a low hum.

It's good nap weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home