Tuesday, August 26, 2003

8/25/03

Bro came by today, and I'm happy that he looks pretty healthy and solid. We had a nice little talk and I look forward to his getting that stuff out of the way soon. 10 days to go.

I've been reflecting on my first time out to eat, and I think it was McDonalds, to feed the ol' stereotype. I remember eating a gray burger with little diced onions, and lots of ketchup. I was out with my Mom, Vera, and Michelle... her brother Kevin, and my Brother might've been there as babies, but I don't remember them. I do remember that half a hamburger was enough, and I couldn't be bothered to eat the rest of it... which is why I knew what was inside...I took the top bun off, and investigated what was "under the hood." The bun wrinkled well, and tore under my then-tiny hand.We were taken there as some sort of reward, but I can't be sure of what, if anything I did to deserve it. We were probably in Salem, Quincy or Plymouth at the time.

Also thinking about my first time out at a *real* non-chain restaurant, at that hazy age of not knowing if my younger brother had been born yet. I don't think so. I had chop suey American style at a Chinese food place that had red walls. My family would generally order a huge selection of items, and we all partook from the different steaming silver dishes of rice, egg foo young (I don't remember which kind, but I always thought it was cool that we were eating something so "gross" on a plate in a sit-down place), chop suey, rice with peas and water chestnuts in it, butterfly shrimp, and sweet and sour pork. I really liked all of those foods... I didn't do my usual "take a big pile of one thing, and leave the rest for my folks to demand I take a nibble of each. I can clearly recall having only a wee little bit of each… the red glaze on the sweet sauce being a deep, only semi-translucent red... not the almost "day-glow" you see at most "fast-food" versions, now. I was wearing a Snoopy "Red Baron Ace" Shirt, with him in helmet, goggles and scarf, shaking his fist atop the doghouse riddled with bullet-holes and a scribble of black smoke rising from the back. I think Ginny or Lugene gave me that shirt for a birthday. I remember wanting the green plastic "jade" thingamabob hanging from the tassel of one of the paper lanterns. a year later, I got a bamboo wall scroll with a tiger & dragon painted on it (very similar to this one), and it was a favorite hanging in my room until I was about 12... when I peppered it with throwing stars. (Fortunately it was hanging from a bookcase made from scrap wood, and I only actually hit the wall with them a few times...posters covered holes in the wall there until we moved, and I was never punished for them being there.

For those who don't have FTP servers, here's a quick way to get doodles online and in your blog.

Bob Smith's Dress up Pages

Insert Silence, for some artsy downtime. (Contrary to the name, there can be music... workers, beware!)

I was a naughty food eater today... within points, but not the best method. Yogurt will be a snack tomorrow rather than fast food, and there will be breakfast eaten.

Point Range: 31-36
Water: 2 Veg/Fruit: 0 Milk: 0
Points: 33.0 Adj: 0 Act: 4 Rem: 3.0
Bank: 10.0 Adj: 0
Bank Max: 10 Point: 5 Act: 8
Bank Method: Rolling 7 days
Vitamins: Yes

Lunch: 15.0 points
0.0: Soda; Low calorie; other than cola or pepper; w/aspartame
7.5: VegiMax 6" Sub
7.5: VegiMax 6" Sub

Dinner: 9.0 points
1.4: Bagels; egg
1.4: Bagels; egg
1.4: Bagels; egg
2.4: Peanut butter; smooth style 1 tbsp
2.4: Peanut butter; smooth style 1 tbsp


Snack: 9.0 points
4.5: Toaster Pastries; raspberry strudel
4.5: Toaster Pastries; raspberry strudel


Goodnight, dear journal. I hope sweet dreams come to all this eve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home